Kansas City Public Schools has a District Advisory Committee (DAC) that meets regularly. Meetings prior to the 2020-2021 school year were held in the KCPS District School Board Room at the Board of Education Building (2901 Troost Ave.)
For the first semester of the 2020-2021 school year, District Advisory Committee meetings will be held virtually.
Every school is asked to send a representative, and parents and community members are also welcome to attend. The DAC addresses school issues and concerns and allows parents to network, share ideas and solve problems cooperatively. In addition, the DAC serves in an advisory role to the District’s Board of Education.
Interested in serving as a DAC delegate for your school or joining the DAC executive board? Click here to submit your interest form.
Parent Leadership Organizations
Participating in parent leadership organizations is a great way to get involved in the education of children. Adults who take an active role in education positively impact future generations of leaders, workers and parents. These adults also get a chance to see firsthand what goes on inside schools within the Kansas City, Missouri School District.
These leadership organizations are a school-based volunteer group made up of parents and families of students, community members and school staff. Among the functions of a parent leadership organization are:
- Participation in the development of the school budget
- Working with the administration on personnel issues
- Providing input into curriculum selections and development
Parent Teacher Association (PTA) / Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) / Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA)
The mission of the PTA/PTO/PTSA is threefold:
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community, and before governmental bodies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of the nation
The objectives of the PTA:
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship
- To raise the standards of home life
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education
At this time, Wheatley does not have a parent leadership organization. If you are interested in helping to establish one, contact your principal or the Office of Family and Community Engagement at (816) 418-7455 or email@example.com.